Printech Archive
Re: Kerosene replacement cleaner

From: gjonesprinting@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 15:47:25 CST

I would suggest that your member not begin to use kerosene. Kerosene is also
known as number 1 fuel oil and is not designed to be a cleaning solvent. It
is not compatible with the rubber in the lithographic printing process. It
will cause excessive blanket and roller swell and will lead to premature
deterioration of the rubber. I It also leaves an oily residue that will
interfere with ink transfer. The residue requires additional cleaning. With
the modern more rubber friendly washes, kerosene's use in almost nonexistent.

The other concern with kerosene comes from the potential health effects
associated with its use. Kerosene can have a high portion of aromatic
hydrocarbons, which tend to be more toxic than paraffin or nonaromatics.
Depending upon the source of the kerosene, it can contain benzene, which is a
known human carcinogen. Kerosene that has not been deodorized and to some
extend, the deodorized type tend to produce offensive odors leading to
complaints and headaches by employees. The recommended exposure level is 14
ppm (100 mg/m3), but does not pose a great inhalation hazard due to its low
volatility. However, it is very aggressive to the skin and it has been
reported that single exposures can cause irritation and dermatitis by
removing the oils in the skin. It is irritating to the eyes, nose, throat,
and upper respiratory tract. It is also a central nervous system depressant
that can lead to slow reactions and drowsiness, which can be dangerous around
moving equipment. Its flashpoint ranges from 100oF to 165oF, which means is
very close to a flammable substance.

Overall, I would not recommend its use. I would suggest a low vapor pressure
type of product, one with a composite VOC vapor pressure less than 10 mm Hg
at 20oC.

Gary Jones
Graphic Arts Technical Foundation
200 Deer Run Road