Printech Archive
Re: Pollution concentration near factory

From: Robert Gifford (gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 21 1999 - 11:40:00 CDT

Without knowing more specific information, it is not possible to
provide an accurate assesment. It would be necessary to know
what specific chemicals are emitted by the facility and their
emission rates.

Some background reading may be helpful. We have some fact
sheets available:
        What are VOCs and do Printing Related Materials
 Contain Them, <http://www.pneac.org/sheets/all/vocs.cfm>.
        What is a Hazardous Waste?
        <http://www.pneac.org/sheets/all/whatisahazwaste.cfm>

You may be able to determine how much the pollution has
dispersed by using a simple computer model available from the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency. The SCREEN model is used by
regulators to give such a quick assesment. It can be obtained free,
complete with instructions, from
<http://www.epa.gov/ttn/scram/models/screen/screeen3.zip>.

If you know the pollutants and their concentrations, you can
compare them with U.S. regulatory concentrations. I am familiar
with the regulations in my home state of Wisconsin. The emission
rates of hazardous chemicals which are deemed to be safe and thus
are allowed by my state are listed on the web in section NR445 of
<ftp://www.dnr.state.wi.us/DAW/AM/rules/NR400s.zip>

This information can give you a basis to assess the situation for
yourself.

Bob Gifford