Printech Archive
Re: Newsprint Toxicity

From: gjonesprinting@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 20:08:56 CDT

Sherry:

The question about using newsprint for uses other than reading such as animal
bedding, wrapping fish, etc., is quite common. The answer is always the same
- newspaper are safe and effective when used as designed - read and recycled
to make more newspaper. As far as I know, there are no acute or chronic human
ingestion studies on this issue. I do believe Penn State did conduct some
studies on using newspaper for cow bedding and found it to be acceptable. A
definitive reference would required additional research.

Receiving assurance from an ink company that the ink systems used on
newspaper are safe for any purpose other than printing on newspaper, will be
difficult if not impossible to obtain. To have any degree of assurance as to
the acceptability of using newsprint for direct food contact would be to
determine if the ink components used in the news inks are FDA approved. I am
not aware that FDA approved components are used in news inks and also highly
doubt it, as these types of inks must be tested and tend to be more
expensive. The additional expense limits their use to printed products that
have direct food contact.

Gary Jones
Graphic Arts Technical Foundation
200 Deer Run Road