Printech Archive
Re: Spent toner

From: DAVE WINTZ (DWINTZ@dem.state.in.us)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 08:52:55 CST

Even if the toner is hazardous, in most states if the generator is a CESQG, the
waste can go to a permitted solid waste facility. A generator can use
"generator knowledge" to determine if the waste is hazardous. TCLP testing can
be kind of expensive, so if you're talking about a 5 or 10 pounds, it's not
worth it.

of course, the preferable option is recycling, but I am unaware of a market for
toner - check with the folks that recycle the cartridges - they might have a
market for the toner itself, but I suspect different copier manufacturers have
different formulations.

>>> pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu 03/02/2000 10:20:31 PM >>>
Would appreciate any further information on recycling/disposal of toner.
-Wayne