Printech Archive
Re: Air quality around automatic blanket washers

From: gjonesprinting@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 14:17:01 CST

I have some industrial hygiene studies taken at several printers on exposure
to blanket wash chemicals and it shows no overexposure to employees. However,
this data is very limited to answering the question you are posting as this
type of testing is only reflective of the conditions found at those
worksites, with those chemicals, and the environmental conditions (e.g., air
changeover rates, specific chemicals, type of blanket washer, etc.).

The best approach to answering your question, you need to perform some
sampling at the specific location in question. This will provide the
necessary information so that the correct decisions can be made and, if
necessary, a course of action developed and implemented.

It might also be beneficial to make sure that the unit is working properly,
there are no holes in the hoses or seals, and that the proper solvent/water
mixture ratio is being delivered to the blanket.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Gary Jones
Graphic Arts Technical Foundation
200 Deer Run Road
Sewickley, PA 15143