Printech Archive
Re: VOC content/photochemical reactivity

From: Brian Grochowski (bgrocho@gridusa.net)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 22:42:15 CST

Dave, I appreciate your response. My main concern and question mostly
has to do with your statement below:

DAVE SALMAN wrote:

> Brian -
>
> I must have missed the initial message is that you are responding to,
> so I do not know the original question; but here is a partial
> response.
>
> 1) Heptane is a VOC. It is photochemically reacitve. It has not been
> deemed negligibly reactive by EPA and is not in the list of "exempt
> compounds" in the VOC definition in 40 CFR 51.100. No one has
> ever petitioned EPA to consider heptane as negligibly reactive.

Why is heptane, or other straight chain volatile hydrocarbons,
considered to be photochemically reactive? How is it possible to generate
a free radical with a product such as heptane? Photochemical reactivity
essentially means that a chemical will react with UV light. What
possible reaction is there with heptane? Heptane along with other
non-photochemically reactive chemicals do not need to be submitted
for exemption because they will not react with UV light. Methyl
acetate and acetone will react with UV light,
but it has been determined that they are negligibly reactive, not
non-reactive like heptane etc.

I look forward to your response. As always, I am more interested in the
truth that pushing my own views so I hope I in no way portray my thoughts
and opinions in any other way than a meaningful discussion. I appreciate
your help and ideas.

Brian Grochowski