Printech Archive
Re: Effective compliance assistance tools

From: William Bertele, P.E. (wbertele@voicenet.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 07:34:32 CST

One of the best ways to ensure compliance is by means of annual
environmental compliance audits by outside environmental consultants.

For those printing operations where Monitoring & Reporting records of VOC
emissions are required, monthly or quarterly audits of the records is
recommended, in addition to the constant supervision of compliance
requirements, while on site.

For those firms that have on site environmental management or supervisiory
personnel, periodic auditing by outside environmental consultants is
recommended, as well as membership in various industry & environmental
organizations, i.e. PNEAC, AWMA.

To keep up to date with regulations and environmental technology,
subscriptions to trade & environmental journals as well as attendance at
trade and environmental conferences & seminars is also recommended.

Accurate records of permit applications as well as documentatoin of why or
where permits are not required, should be maintained. These records should
include a reminder file or schedule of permit renewals, as well as a
schedule of required enviornmentally required actions, i.e. periodic
monitoring & reporting report summaries, annual emission statements, removal
of stored HazWaste materials.

William Bertele, P.E., DEE
Environmental Engineer
Bertele Environmental