Printech Archive
Effective compliance assistance tools

From: Frank Salat (FSALAT@tnrcc.state.tx.us)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 11:13:46 CST

Happy to respond, Gary, but I don't have any good answers
... but then, you said that, didn't you? I am part of Texas'
Small Business and Environmental Assistance Division in
the state's environmental agency. I can tell you from
personal, on-going experience, that every industry group is
unique and the same. I give dozens of environmental work
shops and my observations are that printers are techies and
tend to be very meticulous in their business applications, as
compared, say to those who fix fenders in auto body shops.
All good people, but unique. As for "same-ness," they (we!)
all get more "stuff" in the mail than we can stand! Hence,
mailings, per se, are not particularly good compliance
assistance or notification tools -- the workshop are, but
getting them there is a problem. Without qualification, our
experience tells us that by far the most effective method is a
tailored educational series of workshops with a specific
focus, followed by a coordinated, visible enforcement effort.
To get people to come to the workshops, an on-scene,
personal sell from a disinterested third party -- suppliers are
the best, particularly when they are in competition, is most
effective ... use of mailings is a good reenforcement
mechanism. -- Frank Salat