Printech Archive
Re: Workplace chemical exposure

From: Robert Gifford (gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 19:35:10 CST

PNEAC_customer:

Sorry to be tardy in my response to your request. I see that it is somewhat
urgent and hope that the information is still helpful.

It appears that you have some idea of the chemicals involved. Your
husband's employer should have a list on-site of hazardous
chemicals in each of the products it uses, including their particular brand of
roller wash. These are contained in the
Materials Safety Data Sheets (MSDS). Individual chemicals, such as
the ones you mention, can be researched in on-line databases, such
as <http://siri.uvm.edu/nioshdb/npg/pgdstart.htm>.

If the CAS numbers are available, the chemicals can be identified with
greater certainty. These chemical identifiers are listed on the MSDS.

A quick search of the URL listed above showed headaches as symptoms
of Dipropylene Glycol Mthyl Ether.

The Printers' National Environmental Assistance Center has answered other
questions about MSDS information. These answers are archived at
<http://www.pneac.org/listserv/printech/e-general.html#MSDS>. One of the
largest repositories of links to information is
<http://siri.uvm.edu/msds/links.cfm>.

One more thing may be helpful to you. If your husband is employed in the
US, the company is probably bound by US workplace safety and
environmental laws described in this fact sheet.

http://www.pneac.org/sheets/all/printersoneplan.cfm

I hope that your husband is feeling better now or soon.

Bob Gifford
PNEAC