Printech Archive
Re: Printing Rag Practices

From: anthony ungerer (ungerer1@gte.net)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 10:21:57 CST

Jeff,
I am in agreement with you on the vapor pressure / recovery issue. I can see it no other way than if it doesn't evaporate (low VP) then it would remain in the rags. Makes sense to me.

You may be aware that regarding air emissions in Wisconsin, lithographic printers have been allowed to take a rag retention credit of 50% for products having VP less than 10 mmHg and < 30% VOC, and 60% for products with VP > 10 mmHg. Previous to these applied credits, VOC credits were taken for the balance left in disposed rags or solvent waste. Having performed a comparison between the two, it is generally true that the acceptable rag retention credit (50 or 60%) is more favorable for the printer than an actual waste credit (. . .but not always) from an air emissions standpoint.

There's my two cents! - Tony