Printech Archive
Re: 2,2,4 trimethylpentane (Isopar C) - usage and health, safety information

From: gjonesprinting@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 09:49:26 CDT

Mark:

Here is some more info that I forgot to include in the last email.

Gary

Here's the scoop on Isopars: Isopars are commonly referred as "neat
parafins" roughly similar to the Magiesols (between 47 & 52) in physical
chemical properties. However, magiesols are only about 80% neat parafins
with the other 20% being isomeric equivalents. Isopars have been used very
infrequently in ink vehicles in paste inks to adjust the rheological
properties of the resins. Apparently, the neat parafins can impart some
unique rheologiocal characteristics to the resins that the mixed
(cycloparafins) cannot. Their use is infrequent because of they are very
expensive by comparison to the mixed parafins. I can probably get more
information regarding the physical chemistry involved if that is required.

George