Printech Archive
Re: Isopropyl Alcohol solution flashpoint

From: gjonesprinting@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 16:09:03 CDT

Dennis:

solution/water mixtures, I had conduct a data mining of my files. I found two
studies, One conducted by the US Government Printing Office and the other
here at GATF. The GPO study examined the flashpoint of IPA and fountain
solution mixtures. The GPO study also evaluated the open cup and fire point
temperatures. Fire point is the temperature at which the solution will
sustain a flame. The GATF study examined the flashpoint of IPA and fountain
solution and IPA and water mixtures. The results are attached as a word
document as my email system could not handle the tables.

Gary Jones
GATF

GPO Tests

Percent Open Fire Closed
Alcohol Cup Point Cup
(Vol) FP oF oF FP oF
5 185 None 122.5
10 131 None 102.5
20 104 119 87
25 93 105 81
30 90.5 99.5 70
75 84 84 64
99 71 71 59

GATF Tests

Percent
Alcohol
Closed Cup Percent Closed
(Vol) FP oF Alcohol Cup FP oF
and (Vol)
Water and Fount
                Sol

5 123.8 5 123.8
10 102.2 12.5 95
20 82.4 20 82.4
25 77
30 66.2
75 59
99 48.2

While there are some differences in the measured values, they appear to provide fairly good agreement. There does seem to be a difference at the 99% value as the literature reports a flashpoint of 53oF for pure IPA. The differences may be due to the grades of IPA used in each test. GATF reported the use of an industrial grade and GPO reported using reagent grade.