Printech Archive
Re: Paper Recycling with Water-Based and Soy Inks

From: West, Keith (westk@uwgb.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 23 1999 - 10:22:32 CDT

JoAnne -
        The article I mentioned to you in my last message was only
marginally relevant to your question. It was a study to determine whether
use of soy inks negatively affects deinking. It concluded that the
characteristics in the paper, such as the concentration of fillers, had the
most noticable affect. There was no significant difference between
petroleum-based and soy inks in deinking ability, nor was there any
significant difference between the inks in COD or BOD values in wastewater
generated from the deinking process.
        If you'd like a copy of the article, here's the citation:

Pekarovic, Jan. "Deinking of Aged Soy Ink Printed Offset -- Environmental
and Technological Aspects". Progress in Paper Recycling. May, 1999. 13 -
21.

Or, I can fax you a copy. I'll let you know if anything else turns up.
                                                Keith

Keith D. West
Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
University of Wisconsin - Extension
2420 Nicolet Drive ES 317
Green Bay, WI 54311
(920) 465-2940