Printech Archive
Re: Food Grade FDA Approved Inks

From: Deb Kramer (dkramer@wmrc.hazard.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 07:19:41 CDT

You may want to contact a couple of the major ink suppliers such as INX... or
Sun Chemical. I used to work for a company who used FDA approved food grade
inks and I do not recall any list that exists. The reason being - it is based
on formulation. Various colored pigments and other additives impact the ink.
This can change from job to job based on customer specifications.

In my experience the ink company would supply a letter stating the ink was
"FDA
Approved". This is not something they would normally put on the MSDS,
particularly since they are OSHA documents not FDA or EPA documents - though
used by EPA.

Another thing to consider is requesting CONEG compliant inks. CONEG or
Coalition of Northeastern Governors has promoted legislation "...that
prohibits
the intentional addition of compounds containing lead, cadmium, mercury and
hexavalent chromium, and limits the incidental concentration of those
metals in
packaging inks to 100 ppm (total)." As of 1997 17 states had passed this
legislation and 7 more were pending.

Best of luck to you.

Debra Kramer

At 10:32 AM 6/17/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Can someone direct me to where I can get a listing of FDA Approved Food
>Grade Inks. If the FDA has a listing on their web sit I can't find it and
>the MSDS supplied by manufactures do not list FDA approvals.

Debra Kramer
NOTE: New E-mail Address dkramer@wmrc.hazard.uiuc.edu
(PNEAC/GPP http://www.pneac.org)
1010 Jorie Boulevard, Suite 12