Printech Archive
Re: Use of acetone in reformulated products

From: Marcia Kinter (marcik@sgia.org)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 13:22:41 CDT

I did not realize my query regarding acetone would generate this type of
information -- my initial point appears to be lost -- specifically, since
acetone is deslisted as a VOC (and has never been listed as a HAP), is
anyone aware of efforts to encourage the use of acetone in the cleaning of
equipment, etc. Though I do realize that EPA does not look specifically at
the safety ramifications -- acetone is a highly flammable product.

Quite honestly, if the regulatory community encourages the use of acetone in
lieu of other alternative products, then it is counter to pollution
prevention efforts and information generated by both the USEPA and the
printing industry.

Marci Kinter
SGIA International