Printech Archive
Re: Use of acetone in reformulated products

From: RossRadTec@aol.com
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 12:39:48 CDT

Marci,

I share your concern on the growing use of acetone as a VOC exempt solvent. I
am not sure that vaporous acetone in the atmosphere is included in the
hazardous waste definition. I do know that it is extremely flammable and
explosive. No reputable chemical plant will use it as a solvent for those
reasons As a solvent in the hands of painters, printers, et al, with limited
knowledge of the hazards and with limited safeguards, it becomes all the
more dangerous. I have been seeking someone in the EPA with authority to deal
with these problems....without success.