Printech Archive
Use of acetone in reformulated products

From: Marcia Kinter (marcik@sgia.org)
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 11:59:23 CDT

I do know that the US EPA has delisted acetone as a VOC which in turn
has encourged air districts as well as manufacturers to push its use.
Quite frankly, the delisting of acetone hindered the growing use of
alternative solvent products, since air districts often find it easier
to encourage the use of delisted solvents as the "alternative
product." While the use of acetone may indeed decrease the air
emissions, it often times increases the amount of hazardous waste
generated by a facility since acetone is a listed solvent under RCRA.

My question -- I am beginning to see more acitivty by air districts
encouraging the use of acetone as an alternative. I had heard months
back that EPA was considering removing acetone from the list of exempt
compounds. Does anyone know if this is true? I would appreciate any
assistance or insight..

Thanks.
Marci Kinter
SGIA International