Printech Archive
Re: diazo (blueprint/blueline) process and ammonia

From: K S Gross (KSGROSS@prodigy.net)
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 21:12:45 CDT

There are two ways of handling diazo exhausts. For the smaller machines
with infrequent use (20 or less prints per week), a gravity exhaust pipe
(made from metal) is attached to the exhaust port and vented outside.

For the larger machines (or smaller machines with high thruput rates), a
small carbon filter canister (the size of a 1 gallon paint can) is connect
to the exhaust port. This unit removes 95% or more of the ammonia,
allowing the exhaust air to be vented back into the work area or to the
outside. I have personal experience with these units, and employee
complaints regarding ammonia fumes were eliminated.

The canisters are very inexpensive and have been the industry norm for the
last 15 years. Most diazo machine vendors are aware of this technology and
offer it to their customers when the diazo equipment is originally
purchased.

Karen Gross
Marble Enterprises Inc.