Printech Archive
Re: EPA Method 24A

From: Humitz, Norman (NHUMITZ@smurfit.com)
Date: Tue Apr 27 1999 - 13:41:13 CDT

We are Flexographic printers and do not have anything like this in our
Tittle V permit, but the Federal EPA does have in their MACT Standard for
HAPS for wide web flexo and gravure package printing a similar requirement.
They require a Method 311 Test but have agreed to accept a Flexible
Packaging Association designed Certified Product Data Sheet (CPDS) from the
manufacturer of the inks as a substitute. The CPDS was designed and
proposed as the Federal EPA was resistant to the use of MSDS data because
the information contained in the MSDS was either to vague or insufficient
to make accurate environmental calculations.

I would due what ever it takes to get the Method 24 testing out of your
permit.

Norm Humitz
ENGINEERING MANAGER
SMURFIT STONE FLEXIBLE PACKAGING