Printech Archive
Re: EPA Method 24A

From: Brigette Martin (BMARTIN@gulf-states.com)
Date: Tue Apr 27 1999 - 08:05:27 CDT

We operate in 11 states and I've never seen that condition in a permit. Furthermore, you are purchasing ink so I don't thjnk it would be your place to test each batch, that should lie on the ink supplier. Do the current MSDS specify VOC data and Metho
d 24 as the determining means? If not, I would speak to your ink supplier and determine if they use Method 24 or 24A in testing for VOC content. Then I would challenge that stipulation in the permit and have it changed.

>>> "Lovensheimer, Betsy" <betsy.lovensheimer@delarue-exton.com> 04/27 9:23 AM >>>
We are Pennsylvania printer using both lithography and screen printing methods.

We are in the process of getting our Title V permit. The PA DEP has placed a
condition in our draft permit to "Test each new batch of ink, adhesive and
solvent for density and VOC content by using EPA Method 24A". I am wondering
the following of other printers:

Does anyone else have this condition in their permit (either in PA or other
states)?

If so, who performs the test (supplier or you)?

What type of costs have you or do you expect to incur due to this requirement?

What is the difference between Method 24 and Method 24A?

Can EPA method 24A be performed successfully on Litho Inks and solvents?