Printech Archive
Re: Erroneous msds

From: Eggleston, Don (Don.Eggleston@dgs.ca.gov)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 10:47:21 CDT

First, I would explain to the manufacturer that if they choose to put VOC
information on the MSDS (not required) that they also indicate the method
used to determine the VOC. Explain to them, that the regulated community
cannot use vendor supplied VOC information for compliance verification, etc.
unless EPA Method 24 or equivalent method is the means for VOC
determination.

Second, If the manufacturer declines to use EPA Method 24 or equivalent, the
end user can opt to discontinue use of the product, or have the VOC
determined elsewhere. Be sure to maintain any independent VOC determinations
for as long as the product is used, and possibly longer depending on local
record keeping requirements.

Don Eggleston
State of California
Office of State Publishing