Printech Archive
Re: Chromate in Screen Emulsion

From: Michael R. Ukena (mukena@gte.net)
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 17:16:02 CST

I do not think there is a connection between the offset process that Gary
Jones has been addressing and the chemicals used in processing screens for
screen printing. I have gone through my list of available products used in
screen reclaimation and I cannot come up with any that could (or for any
reason should) contain chromium in any form. The main reclaim chemical that
is almost universal in the screen industry is sodium metaperiodate. This is
a salt that is closely related to household chlorine bleach. In fact, most
printers know that if they run out of smp, they can use bleach in a pinch.
I know the chemical formula for smp and there is no chromium molecule hiding
in there!

I still think the source is the emulsion. Second choice is ink residue from
an out-of-date ink product that may still contain chromium. If so, the
printer needs to purge their inventory of these old products and quit using
them.

Mike Ukena