Printech Archive
Re: Colored Construction Paper In Animal Bedding

From: Robert Gifford (gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 17:26:16 CST

Donna,

My first thought is that kids probably eat a small amount of colored
construction paper too.

These colors are produced by dyes in the paper, right?

I know a farmer who has used newspaper and other mixed paper as animal
bedding. He and the cows like it. I believe that he gets some color-dyed
paper as well. It is hard to avoid colored paper the unsorted
newspapers which include inserted advertising.

Bob Gifford

On 11 Jan 99 at 13:20, Donna Peterson wrote:
> From: "Donna Peterson" <peter080@tc.umn.edu>

> Does anyone have a lead on who I could talk to regarding possible toxic
> issues that might be associated with colors in construction paper. A
> school wants to send out their scrap paper for use in animal bedding (but
> the animals eat a small amount of the paper).
> Donna Peterson
> Minnesota Technical Assistance Program
Robert Gifford
Printers' National Environmental Assistance Center, and
Univ. of Wisconsin - Extension
Solid and Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon St., rm 531
Madison WI, 53703
Voice: 608-262-1083 Fax: 608-262-6250
email: gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu