Printech Archive
Re: Cleaning of Multilith 1250

From: rhartwig@printing.org
Date: Thu Dec 24 1998 - 09:01:43 CST

Teri:

In repsonse to your question, there are always safety concerns when cleaning
equipment. Generally, small duplicators will have less safety hazards than
with larger presses. However, the Multi1250 has some unique concerns in that
the older models found in printing facilities are often missing the
appropriate guarding and have many exposed moving parts. Most small
duplicators have the problem today of being just small enough to tempt the
operators into bypassing the guards and/or interlocks.

I would have to assume that your question is regarding the daily cleaning of
ink of the rollers, blankets, cyclinders, etc. There are other cleaning
aspects to the smaller duplicators that should be addressed and I would be
glad to discuss these with you in detail. You can call me at your conveience
at 412-741-6860 ext 606.

Under the standards set by OSHA- Lockout/Tagout, the proper cleaning procedure
would require that all guarding be in place and that the inch-stop-safe method
be used. As many of the small duplicators do not have the "inch" mechanisim
installed, additional training and instruction would need to be developed to
handle the cleaning operations. The instruction and training would need to
cover where and when an employee would be exposed to hazard areas of the
equipment and how such exposure will be minimized or eliminated. Cleaning
tools, speed of the equipment, method of cleaning, safety devices, etc. need
to be addressed within the additional training and safety program. GATF can
provide assistance with these issues.

Specifically, on the early models of the 1250 the delivery end of the press
will have the cylinders and gears exposed more than the later models. The use
of clean up attachments have required operators to work very close to the
moving cylinders which is source of many injuries.

In the later models, plastic covers and panels were replaced with steel cage
guards to offer better inspection of the operation and allowance of cleaning
solutions to be administered with out removal of the safety barrier.

Another are to consider is the delivery system to the grippers. The earlier
models were designed with the long conveyor path. This system can be shut off
while still allowing the cyclinder section to run at minimum speed for
cleaning.

As there are many more areas to cover than can be discussed in one e-mail,
please call me to get further information.

Rick Hartwig
GATF