Printech Archive
Press Corrosion Caused By Fountain Solutions

From: gjonesprinting@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 01 1998 - 10:14:00 CST

I thought everyone would like to see the response to this question from the
web page.

Gary Jones
GATF

WE ARE PRODUCERS OF FOUNTAIN SOLUTIONS
IN BELGIUM (Europe). It is important that our products may not corrode the
press. For some suppliers of presses (e.g. MAN, we need certifications for our
products. We have to send our product to FOGRA (Germany) to do some tests.
QUESTION :
HOW IMPORTANT IS CORROSION FOR FOUNTAIN SOLUTIONS IN THE USA ?

Dear Thomas:

This in response to your question regarding corrosion associated with fountain
solutions in the US. At this time, there does not appear to be a significant
problem with corrosion. The reason why corrosion is a problem in Europe is the
widespread use of vegetable oil and vegetable oil derived based cleaning
solutions used to remove ink. Since these solutions do not readily evaporate,
they tend to accumulate in and on cylinder gaps, sides of bearings, frames and
braces, and other press components. Once present, then fountain solution will
"mix" with them as they have an affinity for the washes and it creates the
opportunity for corrosion to occur. This situation occurs more frequently with
web presses using brush or spray dampening systems. A paper on this subject
was given at the National Environmental Health and Safety Conference for
Printers in St. Louis in 1997 by Dr. Collin Sailer of MAN ROLAND.

The use of vegetable oil and vegetable oil derived cleaning solutions is not
prevalent in the US. Many printers faced with reducing VOC emissions from
these products have chosen to use low vapor pressure cleaners (<10 mm HG at 20
deg C). While these products do not quickly evaporate, they will eventually
and will not accumulate on and in the critical press components.

Please respond with additional questions.

Gary Jones
Graphic Arts Technical Foundation

attached mail follows:

This Ask PNEAC question is from:
THOMAS HEIDI
LAB@SOLCO.BE

WE ARE PRODUCERS OF FOUNTAIN SOLUTIONS
IN BELGIUM (europe). It is important that our products may not corrode the
press. For some supliers of presses (e.g. MAN, we need certifications for our