Printech Archive
Re: Source for Estimating Litho Ink Coverage

From: Jeff Adrian (jeffadrian@johnroberts.com)
Date: Mon Oct 05 1998 - 02:59:04 CDT

                      RE: Source for Estimating Litho Ink 10/5/98
Printechers:

It has been my experience that ink coverage numbers have been provided by the various ink manufactures, i.e. Flint Ink, etc. These numbers are usually expressed in the number of square inches of coverage per pound of ink. Using this factor as a starting point, one can then take into consideration both the number of colors printed and then the typical percentage of coverage that represents the printing done at any given facility to then arrive at potential emissions once press size and running speed are factored in.

Checking my files, I see that I have used the factor of one pound of heatset web ink at 100% coverage will cover 374,000 square inches.

Again, the best source for this information I know of is the ink manufacturers. Hope this is useful.

Jeff Adrian
The John Roberts Company