Printech Archive
Re: CO2 Cleaning in Printing?

From: Robert Gifford (gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 11:41:14 CDT

A related message forwarded on behalf of Jim Hadley,

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:34:18 -0500
From: Jim Hadley <jhadley@ci.lincoln.ne.us>
To: printech@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: CO2 Cleaning in Printing?

FYI... (first try bounced off printech)

     Re: CO2 Cleaning in Printing? 8/24/98
Jim:

The system we tested did NOT include a vacuuming device for cleaning up
debris from the operation. However, we anticipate that it will be a
simple matter to use a shop vac to clean up the floor in the event of an
especially messy cleanup. I do know that press refurbishers who work on
really dirty presses will shroud the press with clear vinyl drop cloths.
Basically, we intend to use this equipment so that it never gets in this
poor a condition in the first place! We want to efficiently stay ahead
of the curve.

To answer your second question about dried on ink around the fountains,
the answer is most certainly. This equipment took long depostied ink and
easily removed it down to shiny metal. And, of course, it did so around
intricate fittings that would be terribly difficult to clean using
solvents and wipers.

I hope this explanation paints a clearer picture. Our new unit is due
in, I'm told, later this week. Soon as training is completed, we intend
to put it to use.

Regards,
Jeff

>Jim Hadley wrote:

Jeff:

A printer that I visited had two questions about the CO2 cleaning system
that you tested.

1. Does it include a vacuuming device near (or around) the blasting
nozzle to suck-up particles of dry ink and keep them from contaminating
the rollers etc. with dust.

2. Did the CO2 cleaning system prove useful for cleaning dried-on ink in
and around the ink fountains.

Thanks for your assistance.

--Jim Hadley

>Jeff Adrian wrote:

                  Re: CO2 Cleaning in Printing? 8/5/98

Gary & Printech'rs

We ran tests on CO2 cleaning systems at our facility last week. Areas of
presses cleaned included 1) press side frames; 2) delivery gripper bars;
3) transfer cylinder grippers; 4) very difficult-to-clean texturized
cylinder surfaces on a MAN Roland 300; 5) ink trays. In no case did we
detect any evidence of abrasiveness. This is NOT like sand blasting. It
was greta at removing things like accumulated dry aquacoating from
grippers. Unlike using chemicals, there was no messy residues or
dilution of lubricating oils, and there was no issue of worker exposure
to the stronger chemicals typically used for these difficult cleaning
operations!

We were impressed with the trials to say the least. Cost justification
is easy when you consider how long it would take to do these cleaning
tasks by hand. The equipment costs are $10,500 for a small unit, $17,500
for the mid-sized unit with some worthwhile additional features. "Riced"
dry ice is readily available, and 1000 pounds will keep you cleaning for
a full day at a cost of about $240. Unlike Gary, I am aware of several
print facilities that are already using this equipment.

Our pressmen were so impressed, I almost believe we could have taken up
a "collection" to buy the equipment! Ours is on order.

Hope this is useful.

Regards, Jeff Adrian
The John Roberts Company

********************************************************>************************
Jim Hadley, PE
Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department
3140 "N" Street
Lincoln, Nebraska 68510-1514

voice: 402-441-6235
fax: 402-441-8323
email: jhadley@ci.lincoln.ne.us
http://interlinc.ci.lincoln.ne.us/InterLinc/city/health/environ/pollu/index.htm
********************************************************>************************

Robert Gifford
Printers' National Environmental Assistance Center, and
Univ. of Wisconsin - Extension
Solid and Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon St., rm 531
Madison WI, 53703
Voice: 608-262-1083 Fax: 608-262-6250
email: gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu