Printech Archive
Hantscho 23" Four-Color Press Users

From: deggleston@osp.ca.gov
Date: Fri Jul 10 1998 - 14:49:02 CDT

     We are currently operating a Hantscho 23-inch cutoff, four-color,
     heatset web press that must use an air pollution control device
     because of the VOC (volatile organic compound) content in the inks run
     on the press. Our local air district restricts our inks to 300 grams
     per liter,(2.5 pounds per gallon) of VOC unless we use air pollution
     control.

     We have to run between 25000 and 26000 impressions per hour to be cost
     effective. At present, we have had little progress with finding inks
     that we can run at these rates without "setoff" and other problems.
     Flint and Kramer are our primary suppliers.

     Does anyone out there operate a similar press at similar rates, using
     inks with VOC content less than 2.5 pounds per gallon? Would like to
     know how you do it.