Printech Archive
Re: Toxic Metals in Sheetfed Inks

From: Robert Gifford (gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu May 28 1998 - 20:05:02 CDT

Jim,

There is an EPA document giving general RCRA guidelines and information
about the printing industry. It can now be accessed from the PNEAC
website, <http://www.pneac.org/sheets/all>, in text or PDF formats

Bob

Jim Hadley wrote:

> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:54:46 -0500
> From: Jim Hadley <jhadley@netinfo.ci.lincoln.ne.us>
> To: printech@great-lakes.net
> Subject: Toxic Metals in Sheetfed Inks
>
> I have seen barium in sheetfed inks. Has anyone seen any of the other
> RCRA Toxicity Characteristic metals in sheetfed inks (arsenic, cadmium,
> chromium, lead, mercury, selenium, or silver?)
>
> I understand that most if not all colors are available with inks that do
> not contain toxic metals for pigmentation. However, I would like to
> know which metals printers should watch out for when assessing whether
> their waste inks meet RCRA's Hazardous definition.
>
> Any experience with putting metal containing inks through the TCLP
> test? Do the metals leach?

> Jim Hadley, PE
> Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department
> 3140 "N" Street
> Lincoln, Nebraska 68510-1514
>
> voice: 402-441-6235
> fax: 402-441-8323
> email: jhadley@ci.lincoln.ne.us
> http://interlinc.ci.lincoln.ne.us/InterLinc/city/health/environ/pollu/index.htm

* Robert Gifford
* Solid and Hazardous Waste Education Center (SHWEC), and
* Printers' National Environmental Assistance Center (PNEAC)
* 610 Langdon Street rm 531
* Madison, WI 53703
* (608)262-1083 Voice (608)262-6250 Fax
* gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu