Printech Archive
Re: No Process Plates

From: Andrew Maxwell (AndrewMaxwell@Compuserve.com)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 08:32:05 CDT

These plates could have a number of environmental benefits, with real cost
savings depending on the local sewer discharge levels. We are involved in
waste hauling plate chemistry and providing on site recycling equipment,
all of which would be unneccessary with no chemistry. Specifically
potential savings include:

* Standard plate developer is around 60,000 BOD (with sewer levels
sometimes required to be below 300)" No chemistry would eliminate the need
for hauling this chemistry (probably around $4.00 per gallon - this varies
greatly)

* Water consumption by plate processors is quite significant, in addition,
this water is heated to ensure no distortions. Water costs and energy
costs for a typical plate processor, are about $6,000 per year. This cost
can be eliminated by the no chemistry approach (or by using a specially
designed washwater recirculator).

* Direct to plate technologies, sometimes use chemistry which ends up with
excess pH levels and a silver content above 5ppm. Hauling costs of this
can eliminated or the capital cost of purchasing treatment systems which
can be used to adjust the pH and remove silver

If you need more quantative data, please contact me directly. (800) 667
MARA

Andrew Maxwell
Maratek Environmental.