Printech Archive
Re: Rag Program

From: Don Eggleston (deggleston@osp.ca.gov)
Date: Fri Mar 27 1998 - 12:52:38 CST

     If the waste water is going into a sanitary sewer that ends up at a
     waste treatment facility, there will be certain limitations placed on
     the discharge by the local authority. In general, certain contaminants
     may be discharged as long as their concentrations stay within
     regulated limits. Check to see if the laundry has an industrial waste
     water discharge permit, and get a copy of the local sewer use code.
     These documents should identify what can and what can't be discharged
     into the public sewer system. Lastly, if the laundry is discharging
     waste water directly to surface waters such as a river pond or lake,
     they will need a special federal permit which will contain even
     stricter restrictions on contaminants. In summary, it is possible to
     discharge contaminated waste water as long as the proper permits are
     obtained and followed.