Printech Archive
Re: Rag Program

From: Wayne Pferdehirt (pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 27 1998 - 07:11:00 CST

Tim,
There is a good fact sheet on shop towel management available
from the PNEAC WWW site. See the list of general fact sheets at:
http://www.pneac.org/sheets/all The fact sheet, developed by the
EPA DfE program, includes a case study of the shop towel management /
solvent recovery system at the John Roberts Company. -Wayne

> I am looking for some thoughts on a rag reclamation program, where
> we would purchase a few months supply and ship out and have them
> cleaned and returned. I am in the process of researching this with
> our current waste company, so it's not as much as where I do it, but
> how feasible it is. One of our major concerns revolves around the
> fact that we believe that the rag & rug service we now use washes
> our solvent rags and the wash ends up in the is that solvent and all
> ends up in the sewer!! Is this a normal process for the rag & rug
> people? Are they doing the "right" thing, or just looking the other
> way? Any thoughts would be appreciated. We average approx 2500 per
> week
>
> Tim

Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 529, Madison, WI 53703-1195
Phone: 608/265-2361 Fax: 608/262-6250
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu