Printech Archive
Re: Ozone Question

From: Jim Hadley (jhadley@netinfo.ci.lincoln.ne.us)
Date: Thu Mar 19 1998 - 11:37:19 CST

Doreen:

Where is the ozone coming from? I have heard about some automatic
platemaking? (I can't quite recall) equipment generating a little ozone.

The ACGIH (http://www.acgih.org) publishes Threshold Limit Values for
workers, the 8-hour Time Weighted Averages for ozone are:
Heavy Work 0.05 ppm
Moderate Work 0.08 ppm
Light Work 0.1 ppm
Less 2 hour exposure, any workload, 0.2 ppm (proposed)

These were revised in 1997, so they probably reflect the latest
research.

For screening, colorimetric ozone badges are available. Workers can
wear these to assess exposure, and they can be read visually-- without
lab azalysis. They cost a few dollars each.

Long-term effects include lung damage, aggravating asthma, etc. Ozone
will damage rubber-- I have heard wind- shield wipers don't last very
long in LA-- luckily it does not rain much there!

Jim Hadley
Lincoln, Nebraska