Printech Archive
Re: P2 & Industrial Hygiene Data Kept

From: Wayne Pferdehirt (pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 10 1998 - 14:31:12 CST

A couple of items come to mind:

1. It is my understanding that the Subsprint project in Europe
(http://www1.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/kooperationsstelle-hh/subsprint/uk/we
lc ome.html), which sought to increase the use of vegetable-based
cleaning agents in lieu of organic solvents, was initiated primarily
because of worker health concerns by the printers' unions.

2. I am not aware of any printers who have tracked worker health and
safety gains from pollution prevention. However, I recently judged
the nominations for the Wisconsin Governor's Awards in Excellence for
Hazardous Waste Reduction, and one company documented H&S saving from
their P2 programs. The nominee, the Kohler Company, had developed a
lead-free baked enamel. The total estimated annual savings of
$384,000 from this improvement included $48,000 from reduced blood
lead monitoring and $8,700 in reduced industrial hygiene monitoring.
These savings are, of course, in addition to any actual health and
safety improvements experienced by workers.

> This Ask PNEAC question is from:
> Darius D. Sivin, MES
> dsivin@jhsph.edu
> Johns Hopkins University

> I'm interested in the impact of pollution prevention programs on
> worker exposure to toxic chemcials. Is anyone aware of a printer
> who has implemented a pollution prevention program and regularly
> keeps industrial hygiene data?

> ----- Debra Kramer Waste Management & Research Ctr. - IL DNR (PNEAC)
> 3333 W. Arthington Chicago, IL 60624 773/265-2036 773/265-8336 FAX
> Kramer@cmcusa.org http://www.pneac.org
> -----

Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 529, Madison, WI 53703-1195
Phone: 608/265-2361 Fax: 608/262-6250
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu