Printech Archive
Re: Parts washer for ink trays

From: Robert Gifford (gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 22 1997 - 20:34:16 CST

This message is being forwarded on behalf of Don Hensel

From: "Hensel, Donald" <hensd@naa.org>
Subject: Re: Parts washer for ink trays
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 97 17:53:00 PST

Neil,
One of the newspapers in our association, the Minneapolis Star Tribune
recently installed the Maratek Shop Towels On-site Recycling (STOR)
system (centrifuge) for cleaning soiled rags. The EHS Manager at the
plant, Nancy Devine, (612) 673-8822 plans to report on the STOR System at
SuperConference98 in Miami Beach (1/11/98 to 1/16/98) and had this to say
about the system:

"The STOR system was installed last month (August) and is up and running
at the Star Tribune. The system is designed to wash press rags and
distill pressroom solvents in a closed loop system. There are no air
emissions and no sewer discharge associated with this system. We are
anticipating that using the system will significantly reduce the amount
of solvents we purchase, reduce total VOC's emitted from the facility,
reduce liability associated with sending rags off-site for cleaning, and
reduce costs associated with off-site disposal. I am expecting to have a
couple of months of hard data by January. We are the only newspaper in
the world to have this technology implemented..."

I'm sure Nancy would be happy to discuss the pros and cons of the system
with you. Her E-mail address is devinna@mail.startribune.com

Donald A. Hensel, CIH
Newspaper Association of America
1921 Gallows Road, Suite 600
Vienna, VA 22182-3900

Phone (703) 902-1835
Fax (703) 902-1828
E-Mail: hensd@naa.org

Robert Gifford
Printers' National Environmental Assistance Center, and
Univ. of Wisconsin - Extension
Solid and Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon St., rm 531
Madison WI, 53703
Voice: 608-262-1083 Fax: 608-262-6250
email: gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu