Printech Archive
Re: Methylene chloride roller wash replacement

From: ppm-Beratungsteam (PPM.LINZ@demut.at)
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 03:32:00 CST

Carol and Rick:
Maybe you have heard that in many cases it is possible to use vegetable
cleaning agents (VCAs) instead of organic solvents.
The European project SUBSPRINT dealt with this substitution of organic
solvents in the printing industry. Although only offset printing was
involved in the project I know that the alternative technology also works
in other cases e.g. lithography. So why not in your case also.
Susbrint was a project funded by the European Commission. 12 European
countries were involved. I was manager of the Austrian project.
If you are interested to get more detailed information look at the
SUBSPRINT-Homepage at http://www.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/kooperationsstelle-hh/
subsprint/uk/welcome.html. It includes a manual how to use VCAs in a
proper way. You also find a list of products there.
My (additional) Austrian experience is that if you are using chlorinated
hydrocarbons or white spirits the easiest way to get rid of these is:
first swich to organic solvents with a flashpoint higher than 55C,
next step could be the use of high boiling solvents (flashpoint higher
than 100C)
and only then (after a few months-when the printer is used to these kinds
of solvents) switch to VCAs.

Also make sure that your rolers are really plan - but I suppose there is
some information about this on the web-site.
If you are interested in the final report of the project please contact
me. (The EU-report is available in English; the Austrian report is
available in German)

Susanne Kummerer, Austria

> This request is via the net stop.
>
> I will pass along all response to the provider.
>
> Rick Hartwig
> GATF
>

> >>I am looking for possible susbtitute metering roller cleaners that do not
> contain methylene chloride and that do not pose any worse health hazards and
> that are not damaging to press rollers. I would appreciate any sources that
> you can refer me to. Carol G.<<

ppm, Kaplanhofstr. 1, A-4020 Linz Tel.+43/732/782078 Fax +43/732/782078-99