Printech Archive
IPA content in fountain solution

From: martin.nussbaumer@telecom.at
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 04:32:10 CST

Dear colleagues!

Is anybody out there to help me in regard to IPA
(iso-propyl-alcohole) content in litographic fountain solutions.

In Austria I am involved in the development of the Austrian
environmental label for litographic printed products. One demand is
that the IPA content in the fountain solution must not exceed 5%
(volume %). There are several questions in connection with tis
restriction.

1) The Austrian environmental label aspires to be a challenge to
printers and not a label which can be achieved by everyone. What is
your (printers, researchers, suppliers of chemicals,
environmentalists and consultants) experience with IPA content. Is 5%
state of the art or is the restriction to strict?

2) How can/could 5% or less be achieved (different plates, ceramic
rollers, separate cooling, substitutes etc)

3) Which problems occured during implementation of IPA reduction?

4) Restrictions/problems in using substitutes?

5) How can measurement of IPA content be handeled in an easy and
reliable way?

6) Are there any guidelines for environmental labels for printed
products available?

Thanks for your support

Martin