Printech Archive, March, 2000
Re: guidance request on purchasing printing presses

From: gjonesprinting@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 10:01:57 CST

Response To Inquiry:

Your inquiry regarding help choosing a new press was forwarded to the
Technical Inquiry Desk. GATF does not do product evaluations or make
recommendations for purchasing. I can offer the follow advice. The three
press manufactures you mentioned in your email are all top press
manufactures. The greatest difference between presses is often the extra
technology available and it's cost. The new technology (automatic plate
changes, blanket washers ect.) are designed to make the press more efficient,
and faster during makereadies. Fast makereadies are most important for short
run color. Another important consideration is the availability of parts and
service. All presses will break down sooner or later, the quicker the
manufacture gets the press running again, the less money the printer looses
during the down time. GATF also sells press test forms that can be used to
check the press's printing after the installation. See the Process Controls
Catalog, available as a down load able PDF file on our homepage, follow the
links to the catalogs.

Regards;

Dillon Mooney
GATF Technical Inquiry Desk