Printech Archive, March, 2000
Re: Env benefit of waterless printing

From: Jeff Adrian (jeffadrian@johnroberts.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 08:15:14 CST

                      Re: Env benefit of waterless printing 3/30/00
Donna:
Not surprisingly, there are several tradeoffs involved in using waterless
printing to address environmental concerns. Among them are: 1) energy usage for
cooling press cylinders (that effectively replaces fountain solution in
traditional lithography), and 2) the hazardous nature of chemistry to process
the printing plates used in waterless printing.

Likely, a stronger "driver" to move to waterless printing may be associated with
some perceived potential quality gains rather than environmental concerns. As it
stands now, waterless printing comprises a very small percentage of all
lithographic printing. Like some other printers, we have the capability for
waterless printing built into some presses, but we have discontinued pursuing
this process and have removed the plate processor with its associated chemistry
from our facility.

Jeff Adrian
Director, Environment & Safety
The John Roberts Company