Printech Archive, February, 2000
Re: Printing Art Reproductions

From: gjonesprinting@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 09:13:52 CST

This is in response to your question regarding the vegetable printing process
used by Robert Rauschenberg. PNEAC is more designed for the commercial
printer and packaging firms and the materials used to mass produce printed
products and packages. This does not mean to say that Robert Rauschenberg
does not have his work mass produced. Based on a conversation I had with one
of our graphic artists, he is of the opinion that Rauschenberg uses screen
and perhaps some litho for reproducing his works. For screen printing, there
is very little vegetable-oil based inks available on the commercial market.
For lithography, there are many types with soy oil being the most common.

Without more details on what process he is exactly using, it is difficult to
answer your question. You may find more information at Carnegie Mellon
University here in Pittsburgh, because he studied there and has had showing
at the Carnegie Museum as well. Good Luck!

Gary Jones
Graphic Arts Technical Foundation
200 Deer Run Road
Sewickley, PA 15143