Printech Archive, February, 2000
Re: Effective compliance assistance tools

From: Dennis McCoy (dennismccoy@delphi.com)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 19:34:51 CST

Gary,

From my experience large printers usually have good resources to deal with
problems. However....the smaller the printer the simpler and more specific the
guidance must be or it will never be used. A recent example: EPA & PNEAC both
have put out a lot of guidance on identifying Glycol Ethers, a class of HAPs.
However, on two current jobs I am working on, neither printer even realized they
had any HAPs and in fact one printers Permit was altered to reflect that fact.
Since the info was volunteered to the Agency there were no other problems. The
local agency did not even realize that they had them. I suspect the same will
happen with the other printer at some point. I believe you have even written
some good material on the subject.

Any educational material needs to be directed at a level of understanding and
short enough that it will be read. Documents that are 50 to 200 pages long are
only read by diehards like you and me!! That is my two cents' worth.

Dennis McCoy