Printech Archive, January, 2000
PTE with full coverage

From: pneac@istc.illinois.edu
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 09:24:31 CST

This Ask PNEAC question is from:
Question: I am an environmental consultant working for a narrow web width flexographic printer. Our problem is defining the maximum potential to emit VOC's, as required by the local environmental agency. The environmental agency is insisting on the use of maximum operating parameters, especially full web coverage or coating.

Theoretically this would be based on a combination of operating parameters including:

Max web width & speed
Max web coverage & number of print stations
Max ink/coating consumption/application rates
Max VOC content of the inks or coatings.
Water base versus solvent base versus uv cured inks

We know that max web speeds cannot be achieved with max ink coverage due to drying times between print stations which will also vary with the type of ink or coating i.e. water base versus solvent base versus uv cured.

We are looking for prior documented testing or other documented source of theoretical data that would provide the maximum ink/coating consumption rates for the various operating parameters.

Can you help us with this problem?